Monday, March 12, 2007

Interviews - The Psychological Association of Suits



According to John T Molloy author of “Dress For Success” the suit is the central power garment in any business combination, it is the garment that will most influence any viewers stereotyped judgement of the wearer. It immediately establishes authority, credibility and likability – those qualities most important in any business interaction.

The darker the suit, the more authority it transmits. A black suit is more authoritative than a dark blue, although it is much too powerful for most men and should be rarely worn anyway because of its funeral overtones. The most authoritative pattern is the pinstripe, followed in descending order by the solid, the chalk stripe and the plaid.

Solid Navy: If you’re a weak authority figure its excellent, if your strong authority figure it’s bad.

Solid Dark Grey: If you’re a weak authority figure use it. If you are strong authority figure, it is neutral.

Dark Blue Pin Stripe: If you have authority problems, it’s the best.

Medium Blue Solid: It is good for people with authority problems and with strong authority figures.

Medium Grey Solid: If you have trouble giving orders it’s neutral. If you are a strong authority figure it’s positive and takes the edge off aggressiveness.

Medium Blue Pinstripe: It is a good authority-boosting suit and also, surprisingly positive if you come on too strong.

Light Blue Solid: If you have trouble giving orders wear it. If your too strong its good.

Light Grey Solid: It is negative for those who have trouble giving orders, positive if you come on too strong.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog from a comment you left on Tim Sanders blog, "Sanderssays."

I just read through many of your entries, and enjoyed them all. I am graduating in May, and I am having a lot of trouble finding a job. I never realized how tough it actually is, especially these days with applications all being online.

I find your ideas very helpful, and I am definitely going to use them. I also have a psychology minor, so I found this entry very interesting! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog from a comment you left on Tim Sanders blog, "Sandersays."

I really enjoy your entries. I am graduating in May, and I am having a tough time landing a job. I have had great experience throughout college, but getting people to read my cv is tougher than I expected. I just read through a lot of your entries, and I will definitely be putting your ideas to use. Applying is all online these days, and I have found it difficult to contact a "real" person to talk with in the company.

I also have a psychology minor, so I really found this entry interesting! Time for me to go buy a new suit! Great stuff - keep up the good work!